Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Lifelong Task of Forming Self to God

Quote from Thomas Merton
The person "who attempts to act and think for others or for the world without deepening his own self-understanding, freedom, integrity and capacity to love, will not have anything to give others.  He will communicate to them nothing but the contagion of his own obsessions, his aggressiveness, his ego-centered ambitions, his delusions about ends and means, his doctrinaire prejudices and ideas."

My Reaction
As I read this quote this morning over my 6 a.m. cup of coffee, it totally rocked my world.  It is so easy for me to shout that the church needs to be different and needs to adopt missional theology, ecclesiology, and lifestyles.  If I do not attend to God, all I will be doing is shouting my anger, my thoughts, and my pride.  It would be better for me to attend to God and never to speak at all then to shout at the world through my own voice.
My Prayer
Father, speak through me, be it a whisper or a shout or anything in between, the words you want your church to hear. Remind me to always attend to you first, so that my words are never my own.  For all those who, like me, desire to prophetically call the church to change, draw them first to you and then send them out into the world.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I need to focus on the same thing. DAD

    ReplyDelete